Brandon in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1901 William and DocEstelle Brandon Varnedoe purchased the home. About 1912 Edward Linsley bought it and from 1946 to 1955 his daughter's family, the Walter Clayton's lived here. In 1960, with financial backing from John "Rudy" Williams, Dick Stowers' dream commenced when they purchased and converted it into a funeral home. "The facade and basic floor plan of the original L-shaped house has been preserved." This structure remains a central image for Brandon today.
Erected 1990 by Dedicated In Honor Of The Brandon Centennial, Donated By The Dick Stowers Family.
Location. 27° 56.239′ N, 82° 17.402′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on Brandon Boulevard (State Road 60), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located opposite Knights Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Brandon FL 33511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brandon Masonic Lodge No. 114, F. & A.M. Brandon School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brandon Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Limona (approx. 1.6 miles away); Gary (approx. 8.3 miles away); Spanish Exploration of Temple Terrace (approx. 8.3 miles away); Reverend Billy Graham (approx. 8.9 miles away); Temple Terraces Country Club Sutton Hall (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandon.
Categories. • 20th Century •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,868 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.