Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Historical Marker
Lucas County was named for Governor Robert Lucas who championed Ohio's cause in the "Toledo War," a boundary dispute arising when both Ohio and the Michigan Territory claimed this area. The Ohio legislature created Lucas County on June 20, 1835. The first court session convened in a Toledo schoolhouse during the pre-dawn hours of September 7 to avoid the Michigan militia.
[Reverse Side/East Side of Marker]:"Lucas County"
The Federal Government settled the dispute in Ohio's favor in 1836. Toledo remained the county seat until 1840 when it was moved to Maumee. In 1852 it was returned to Toledo. The present courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was completed in 1897 and replaced an earlier courthouse which stood at this corner from 1853 to 1897.
Erected 1987 by Lucas County Sesquicentennial Committee and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 39.262′ N, 83° 32.222′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker Touch for map. This historical marker is located in the southeast corner, on the grounds of the Lucas County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Toledo OH 43604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Toledo’s Canals (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Toledo (about 600 feet away); Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library (about 800 feet away); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Moses Fleetwood Walker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Vistula Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Oliver House (approx. ¾ mile away); Art Tatum (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Categories. • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 824 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 6, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.