Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Cameron Valley
Early Industrial Development in Western Alexandria
In 1851, the newly founded Alexandria Water Company converted the eastern mill into a pumping station, installing a new iron wheel and a pump inside the building. The pump drew water from the 60-year-old millrace and pumped it into a reservoir at the top of nearby Shuter's Hill. From there, it was distributed through a gravity-fed system to households and businesses throughout Alexandria. The Cameron Pumping Station continued to supply water to the city through the mid-20th century.
The Cameron Valley, through which Eisenhower Avenue runs, has served as an industrial and commercial center for Northern Virginia for over 250 years. At one time, Cameron Run and its estuary, Great Hunting Creek, provided direct access to
Water from Cameron Run also stimulated commercial and industrial development. A dam on the upper reaches of the stream diverted water through a mile-long millrace; this water supply turned the wheels of several gristmills in the valley, and later even provided water for the city. Today's office and condominium complexes, the Beltway, Metro, and Eisenhower Avenue itself represent the latest chapter in the economic development of the Cameron Valley.
Erected by the City of Alexandria.
Location. 38° 48.07′ N, 77° 4.191′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on Eisenhower Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located across the street from the Eisenhower Street Washington Metro station. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fort Ellsworth (approx. 0.4 miles away); Panoramic View of Alexandria (approx. half a mile away); The George Washington Masonic National Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Fighting Back (approx. half a mile away); Alexandria (approx. 0.6 miles away); Visiting Old Town (approx. 0.6 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 2 (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Pursuers of Booth the Assassin" (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
More about this marker. In the upper center is a photo of The Cameron Mills as they appeared in the late 19th century. On the left is the grist mill, by then partially steam-powered. The building on the right is the Alexandria Water Company's pumping station.
In the lower center is a section of map. The 1803 map of the lower Cameron Valley showed early roads, the "Head of Navigation" of Cameron Run and Hunting Creek, and the twin Cameron Mills.
In the lower center and right are photos of Cameron Run. Water from Cameron Run was channeled through a long millrace whose stone and earthen embankments maintained the force of the water and channeled it to the top of the mill wheel. The weight of the water, caught in the buckets on the wheel, caused it to turn. Excess water flowed back into Cameron Run through a meandering tailrace.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,633 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.