Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa

1772

 
 
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 21, 2006
1. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Marker
Inscription. A Spanish mission founded by Fray Junipero Serra, O.F.M., First president of the California missions. This was the fifth in a chain of 21 missions stretching from San Diego to Sonoma. Built by the Chumash Indians living in the area. Its combination of belfry and vestibule is unique among California Missions. In 1846 John C. Fremont and his California Battalion quartered here while engaged in the war with Mexico.
 
Erected 1966 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee, San Luis Obispo County Hist.Soc. and N.S & D of the G.W., Parlors No.290 and No.108, May 15, 1966. (Marker Number 325.)
 
Location. 35° 16.834′ N, 120° 39.842′ W. Marker is in San Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Touch for map. Marker is located on Monterey Street. The Mission complex is surrounded by Monterey, Charro, Palm and Broad Streets with entrance on Monterey Street. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (here, next to this marker); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (within shouting
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle
2. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and Marker
distance of this marker); Carnegie City Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chong's Candy Store (about 300 feet away); Site of Ah Louis Store (about 400 feet away); “Love” and “Double Joy” (about 400 feet away); San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. P. Andrews Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
 
Regarding Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.325 on August 8, 1939.
 
Also see . . .
1. Mission San Luis Obispo History. The fifth California mission founded by Father Junipero Serra, Sept. 1, 1772. Named after Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France. Present building built 1793-1794. Front portico added: 1794, torn down in 1877, restored in 1933. Wooden siding added in the late 1870s; removed between 1920 to 1934. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 

2. A Virtual Tour of the Mission
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
3. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional keywords. California Missions
 
Categories. LandmarksNative AmericansNotable BuildingsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 21, 2006
4. Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
Mission San Luis Obispo, Cal. image. Click for full size.
By Edward H. Mitchell, S.F., circa Unknown
5. Mission San Luis Obispo, Cal.
San Luis Obispo image. Click for full size.
By Minerva Soto, Central Coast Books, San Luis Obispo
6. San Luis Obispo
Old Mission San Luis Obispo, California
Founded 1772
Interior of Mission San Luis Obispo image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
7. Interior of Mission San Luis Obispo
Fragment of Mission Wall Ruins - Circa 1753 image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, November 27, 2010
8. Fragment of Mission Wall Ruins - Circa 1753
These ruin of the Mission Wall is located across Broad Street from the current Mission building and behind the Carnagie Library Building.
San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Mission Bells image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 21, 2006
9. San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Mission Bells
[Facing Front]
[Left]:
CARLOS: D.- Pitch, 26.56” diameter, 429 pounds.
[Center]:
DIEGO: B. – Pitch, 31.25” diameter, 748 pounds.
[Right]:
ANTONIO: E. – Pitch, 23.63” diameter, 297 pounds.

[Facing North (Right)]
[Closest to Front]:
GABRIEL: F#. – Pitch, 21.5” diameter, 224 pounds.
[Farthest from Front]:
LUIS: A. – Pitch, 19.75” diameter, 158 pounds.

These fourth generation bronze bells are named for the patron saints of the first five Alta California Missions. Their presence helps to memorialize the beloved tradition of bell ringing at this parish, which began on September 1, 1772 with the ringing of a single bell by the Blessed Junipero Serra; OFM, and Padre Jose Cavaller; OFM, first pastor of the Old Mission.

Bells cast by the Petit & Fritsen Co. of Aarle-Rixtel, Holland
Purveyed by the Verdin Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio
Blessed by the Most Reverend Sylvester D. Ryan, DD, Bishop of Monterey, On April 30, 2005
Placed into service on May 3, 2005 with the ringing of the Angelus pattern
Call to worship pattern first rung at a Mass celebrated by Fr. Derek Hughes on May 5, 2005

“Vivos Voco – Mortuos Plango – Fulgura Frango”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 6,888 times since then and 93 times this year. Last updated on February 7, 2010, by Elizabeth B. Cooksey of Savannah, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   3. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4, 5, 6. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7, 8. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   9. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement