Wedgefield in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wedgeﬁeld Presbyterian Church
This church was founded in 1881 with assistance from Harmony Presbytery. It had 12 charter members, with elders Cornelius McLaurin and James Caldwell and deacons Dr. Henry J. McLaurin and Edward H. McCutchen. Rev. H.B. Garris, Wedgefield’s first minister, preached two Sundays a month in an old school nearby.
The church sanctuary, often called “the church in the pines,” was completed in 1882 on land donated for the church and cemetery by James H. Aycock. Rev. Garris, the first permanent minister, was installed by Harmony Presbytery in 1885. Rev. Perry H. Biddle had the longest pastorate, serving 1947-1968.
Erected 2006 by the Congregation. (Marker Number 43-35.)
Location. 33° 53.496′ N, 80° 30.983′ W. Marker is in Wedgefield, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of Presbyterian Drive and South Carolina Highway 43-420, on the right when traveling south on Presbyterian Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wedgefield SC 29168, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Manchester (approx. 3.6 miles away); William Tennent Early Charleston Road (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cane Savannah Plantation (approx. 3.9 miles away); Battle of Stateburg (approx. 4 miles away); Joel Roberts Poinsett (approx. 4.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross Stateburg / Holy Cross Churchyard (approx. 4.4 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.