Oglethorpe in Macon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The two-story, wood-frame structure was constructed and operated with the financial support of ex-Oglethorpe resident Mrs. W.L. Peel. Students at Lumpkin Academy studied reading, writing, arithmetic, English, science, geography, history, mathmatics, and astronomy. Professor Lumpkin, as he was known, often sought jobs around town in order to teach his students agriculture, carpentry and landscaping. Music and band were also available. When Rosenwald Schools for black children opened their doors in Macon County in the early 1930’s. Lumpkin Academy, its founder deceased and its aging building in disrepair, closed its doors permanently.
Erected 1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 096-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 32° 17.433′ N, 84° 3.954′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oglethorpe GA 31068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Timothy Barnard (approx. ¼ mile away); Mt. Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Memorial to American Former Prisoners of War Stalag XVII-B (approx. 7.1 miles away); The Raiders' Graves (approx. 7.1 miles away); Grave Markers (approx. 7.2 miles away); National Prisoner of War Museum (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Battling Bastards of Bataan (approx. 7.4 miles away); Memorial to POWs at Hiroshima, Japan (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oglethorpe.
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.