Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Anderson Trading Post
Anderson, Colonel of the Militia in 1812, was taken prisoner at Detroit, later escaped.
Mrs. Anderson, alone at the time of the River Raisin massacre, successfully defied frenzied Indians who invaded the premises and lapped from the basement floor whiskey which she had emptied from the barrels. Mrs. Anderson sat defiantly upon the family money chest as the savages threatened her with upraised tomahawks. "Shame, so many Indians fight one squaw," Mrs. Anderson cried. Cowed by her words the Indians left and the home was not further molested.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 55.039′ N, 83° 23.569′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Elm Avenue (State Highway 50) and North Macomb Street, on the right when traveling west on East Elm Avenue. Touch for map. The historical marker is located on the north side of the River Raisin, along East Elm Street, in front of the Allore Funeral Home. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48162, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Tecumseh's Headquarters (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Trading Post (about 600 feet away); A Storied Homestead (about 800 feet away); Col. Francis Navarre (about 800 feet away); Death of Capt. Woolfolk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monroe Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Armstrong Custer (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Categories. • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.