Near St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Matanzas National Monument
Much earlier, in 1565, Spain had bloodily crushed here a French challenge to her control of Florida by killing the remnants of a French colony from Fort Caroline, 40 miles to the north.
Fort Matanzas became a National Monument in 1924, preserving this unique specimen of a vanished style of military architecture and engineering.
Location. 29° 42.888′ N, 81° 14.091′ W. Marker is near St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from State Road A1A. Touch for map. Fort Matanzas National Monument is located about 15 miles south of the historic district of St. Augustine, Florida on Highway A1A South. St. Augustine is located on Florida's Northeastern Atlantic coast midway between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Massacre of the French (approx. 0.4 miles away); Marineland-The World’s First Oceanarium (approx. 3.4 miles away); Princess Place Estate (approx. 3.9 miles away); 5480 Atlantic View King's Road (approx. 5.7 miles away); Washington Oaks Gardens (approx. 6 miles away); Mala Compra Plantation Historic Site (approx. 7.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away).
Regarding Fort Matanzas National Monument. Fort Matanzas (Spanish, 1740) guards Matanzas Inlet, southern mouth of Matanzas River, rear entrance to St. Augustine's primary defense, Castillo de San Marcos.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Hispanic Americans • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,837 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 15, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.