Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
De Soto in Georgia
After wintering in Tallahassee, the de Soto expedition set out on a quest for gold which eventually spanned four years and crossed portions of nine states. This was the first recorded European exploration of the interior of the Southeast. Over 300 members died on the expedition, including De Soto in 1542. This tremendous effort forever changed the lives of the Indians who were infected with old world diseases, killed in battle, enslaved, made destitute and sometimes befriended.
Many scholars believe this was the general area where De Soto spent March 23 - April 2, 1540. During this period De Soto visited the Chiefdom of Ichisi.
Members of the expedition erected a cross and held religious services at the principal town on April 1, then traveled eastward.
Erected 1990 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 011-22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is located in the Macon City Park, near the levee. It can only be reached on foot. Marker was in this post office area: Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Macon History (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freemasonry in Macon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Macon City Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Public Camellia Show (approx. 0.7 miles away); Post 3 Macon (approx. 0.7 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
More about this marker. The marker has been broken off its post as of 10/03/2009.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. More De Soto in Georgia Markers
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,661 times since then. Last updated on February 8, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on October 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on October 17, 2009, by Ken Moser of Cartersville, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.