Homewood in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957.
Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961.
College rechartered 1965 as Samford University in honor of Frank Park Samford and his family.
Erected 1966 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 27.774′ N, 86° 47.418′ W. Marker is in Homewood, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Lakeshore Drive and Sherman Circle, in the median on Lakeshore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 Lakeshore Drive, Birmingham AL 35209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edgewood Lake (Drained 1940's) Birmingham Motor & Country Club / Edgewood Country Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Sibyl Temple (approx. half a mile away); A History Of Vestavia Hills (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hallman Hill (approx. one mile away); Vestavia Hills Baptist Church / George Ward 1867-1940 (approx. “We Love Homewood” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hollywood / Hollywood Town Hall / Hollywood Country Club (approx. 1.2 miles away); Homewood (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Homewood.
Also see . . .
1. Site of Howard College Marker. (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
2. Samford University's Website. (Submitted on February 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,057 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.