Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. James Lutheran Church
This church, the first Lutheran congregation in Sumter County, was organized in 1890 as a Home Mission, with six charter members and with Rev. F.W.E. Peschau as its first pastor. The congregation met in area churches, public buildings, or homes for several years. Its first church, built 1894-96, was a frame building at the corner of Washington Street and Hampton Avenue.
The longest-serving pastors of St. James were Revs. J. Emmet Roof, who served 1947-1963, and Alvin H. Haigler, Sr., who served 1972-1992; the present brick sanctuary was built 1977-78 and consecrated during Rev. Haiglerís pastorate. Six members of St. James entered the ministry between 1956 and 2002, and three members became missionaries to Africa in 1968 and 2002.
Erected 2006 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-37.)
Location. 33° 56.683′ N, 80° 23.115′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Alice Drive (State Highway 120) near Bay Blossom Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Green Swamp Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mt. Zion Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sumter's Memorial To Its Brave Soldiers (approx. 2.4 miles away); Gen. Thomas Sumter Memorial Highway (approx. 2Ĺ miles away); Military Post / Potter's Raid (approx. 2.6 miles away); Sumter Institute (approx. 2.7 miles away); Temple Sinai (approx. 2.7 miles away); Henry L. Scarborough House (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.