Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
James Taylor House (Reconstructed) - 1971
James Taylor, owner of a Coshocton woolen mill, built a house and possibly the fruit cellar on this lot in 1826. Taylor moved to California in 1840. Subsequent owners include David Frew, a miller, farmer, and a postmaster, and Daniel Rose, a Coshocton furniture dealer. Roscoe Village Foundation purchased the land in 1971. The original structure was torn down and a new one, which resembles but is larger than the original was built.
This building has been a retail area, an exhibit area, and also served as the first Visitor Center.
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
Location. 40° 16.685′ N, 81° 52.614′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is opposite the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum (300 N. Whitewoman Street). Marker is in this post office area: Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 24 Star Flag (a few steps from this marker); Daniel Boyd House - c.1825 (a few steps from this marker); Wilson Jacob House - c.1890 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833 Caldersburgh Pearl -2001 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842 (within shouting distance of this marker); James LeRetilley Building - 1847 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Roscoe Building - 1840 (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
Also see . . . Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.