Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mt. Holly in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation

 
 
Thorogood Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Thorogood Plantation Marker
Inscription. (Front text)
Thorogood Plantation
In 1682 the Lords Proprietors granted 3,000 acres here, on a branch of the Back River, to Joseph Thorogood (d. 1684). Though Thorogood only owned the plantation two years and his widow Jane sold it after his death, it was called “Thorogood” for most of the 19th century. By the 1720s Andrew Allen owned Thorogood, established a profitable rice plantation here, and was also engaged in the local fur trade.

(Reverse text)
Mount Holly Plantation
Thorogood passed to John Deas (d. 1788) and his son John, Jr. (1761-1790). It, Mount Holly, and Cyprus plantations remained in the Deas family until 1824. Subdivided after the Civil War, this area was the core of an African American farming community. H. Smith Richardson bought it as a hunting plantation in 1937, renaming it Mount Holly. Mt. Holly Aluminum has produced aluminum as its plant here since 1980.
 
Erected 2007 by Mt. Holly Aluminum. (Marker Number 8-49.)
 
Location. 33° 2.325′ N, 80° 2.098′ W. Marker is in Mt. Holly, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker can be reached from Mt. Holly Aluminum Driveway near North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52), on the
Mount Holly Plantation side of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 6, 2010
2. Mount Holly Plantation side of Marker
right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located just north of Medway Road, at the entrance to Mount Holly Aluminum, approx 200 feet off US 52-North Goose Creek Blvd, while traveling north on US 52. Marker is in this post office area: Moncks Corner SC 29461, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Medway Plantation (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Holly Station Mount Holly (approx. 0.7 miles away); Early Indian Trading Paths / The Goose Creek Men (approx. 0.8 miles away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 2.4 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 6, 2010
3. Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation Marker
Along the Mt. Holly Aluminum Driveway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,539 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement