Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Brentsville - The Gallows
In 19th-century Virginia, the courts’ jurisdiction was in flux regarding capital punishment. By 1828, capital punishment cases involving white persons were tried in the circuit courts. Slaves and free blacks could still receive capital punishment from the county courts.
The Gallows in 1875
The scaffold is situated at the northwest corner of the Court House yard; it is built of heavy pine posts, five feet and a half apart, with the platform seven and a half feet from the ground; in front of the scaffold seats are arranged for the press within the enclosure surrounding the scaffold.
Alexandria Gazette, March 19, 1875
(caption under center picture) This engraving of John Brown’s execution in Charleston, Virginia, 1859 depicts a gallows typical of that time period. The artist likely made his drawing from a group of seats reserved for the press.
Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, v.9, no. 211 (1859 Dec. 17), p. . Courtesy of the Library of Congress.
Death by hanging was meant to be a rapid means of execution. A court-appointed
Punishment in the 1800s
A prisoner being sentenced to die on the gallows was a rare occurrence in 19th-century America. The most common sentences were fees or interment in the county jail. Also, whipping or “lashing” were common outcomes of guilty verdicts. A whipping post was also located in the Brentsville Public Lot. Citizens often attended public punishments. These events allowed people to show chagrin for the guilty. They were also painful reminders that law breakers would be punished.
(caption for picture in lower right) The Prince William County Minute Book of 1833-1836 records a sentence given to Henry (alias Harry) Parker on June 20, 1834. His punishment was carried out at Brentsville:
…he is guilty of simple Larceny. Therefore it is considered by the court that the sd Slave Harry do receive on his bare back thirty nine lashes, well laid on at the public whipping post, and that the Sheriff do execute this Judgment forthwith…
Erected 2007 by Prince William County and the Friends of Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre.
Location. 38° 41.413′ N, 77° 30.013′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12235 Bristow Road, Bristow VA 20136, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brentsville - One-Room School (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville - The Public Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Clerks’ Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Tavern Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville - County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville - County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Outbuildings (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentsville.
More about this marker. Marker was installed in May 2007. This marker is behind the courthouse building.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,183 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.