Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

John Cordes Prioleau House

68 Meeting Street

 

—circa 1810 —

 
John Prioleau House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, February 12, 2010
1. John Prioleau House Marker
Inscription. This property, originally known as Town Lot Number 54 of the Grand Modell of Charles Town, was granted by the Lords Proprietors to William Jones March 23, 1682. In 1808, the property was purchased by John Cordes Prioleau, a wealthy planter. Madame Rosalie Acelie Tongo’s School for Young Ladies was located here from 1855 to 1862.
After 1882, it was the home of Dr. Charles U. Sheppard, who is noted for his efforts to establish tea production in the Lowcountry. The current appearance of this large stuccoed brick dwelling, with Renaissance Revival detailing, reflects alterations and additions made in the 1890s by William Bachman Chisolm.
 
Erected 1996 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
 
Location. 32° 46.518′ N, 79° 55.848′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Meeting Street and Ropemakers Lane, on the right when traveling north on Meeting Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 68 Meeting Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
John Cordes Prioleau House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 8, 2013
2. John Cordes Prioleau House Marker
. The South Carolina Society (a few steps from this marker); Poyas-Mordecai House (within shouting distance of this marker); Branford-Horry House (within shouting distance of this marker); James Francis Byrnes (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. William Cleland's House (within shouting distance of this marker); 58 Tradd Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Robert Pringle House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Harvey House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Also see . . .  Meeting Street Houses from Charleston Library. (Submitted on February 18, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
John Prioleau House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, February 12, 2010
3. John Prioleau House
John Prioleau House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, February 12, 2010
4. John Prioleau House
John Prioleau House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, February 12, 2010
5. John Prioleau House
John Cordes Prioleau House image. Click for full size.
By David Emch, circa 2010
6. John Cordes Prioleau House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,029 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   2. submitted on September 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4, 5. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   6. submitted on February 24, 2010, by David Emch of Charleston, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement