Cookeville in Putnam County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Putnam County Courthouses
Location. 36° 9.753′ N, 85° 30′ W. Marker is in Cookeville, Tennessee, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson (U.S. 136) and E. Broad St., on the right when traveling north on South Jefferson. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cookeville TN 38501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Israel Putnam (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Spring (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tennessee Central Depot (approx. half a mile away); Dixie College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Walton Road - Old Burnt Stand (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Salem Methodist Church (approx. 1.5 miles away); Steam Tractor 1886 (approx. 2.5 miles away); White Plains (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cookeville.
"The first courthouse,completed in 1856, burned a few years later and was rebuilt. The second courthouse was burned accidentally by Union soldiers who camped there in 1861. Putnam County's third courthouse... was built in 1866 and burned in 1899. The present building was completed in 1900, and it was extensively remodeled in 1862, at which time the clock tower was removed.
"The fourth courthouse was completed in 1900 and cost $25,000 to build. The clock tower had a medieval appearance and was on the Northwest corner of the building. The bricks were made at Scott Brick Kiln located at the present site of the Willow Tree Shopping Center. The tower was removed, and other changes were made when the courthouse was remodeled in 1962."
-- Images of America - Cookeville and Putnam County, by Friends of the Cookeville History Museum
— Submitted July 16, 2014, by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. 3. submitted on July 22, 2014, by Deanna Lack of Sparta, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.