Zanesville in Muskingum County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Second Capital of Ohio
In 1809 both Zanesville and Putnam (then a separate town across the Muskingum River) vied to become the capital city of Ohio. Zanesville erected a new county courthouse and Putnam erected a new school building—both towns hoping that the state legislature would find their building suitable for the state house. When the legislature settled on Zanesville the Putnam building, known as the Stone Academy, was used as a school and as a meeting place. The Ohio Anti-Slavery Convention was held there in 1835.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 56.423′ N, 82° 0.418′ W. Marker is in Zanesville, Ohio, in Muskingum County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 40) east of 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is to the right of the courthouse steps. Marker is in this post office area: Zanesville OH 43701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zanesville (a few steps from this marker); World War II and Korean War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Muskingum County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodge of Amity No. 5 Free and Accepted Masons Architect Cass Gilbert (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zanesville.
Also see . . .
1. Photo of the 1809 Muskingum County Courthouse Building. (Submitted on April 19, 2006.)
2. The Official Ohio Lands Book. Indexed PDF of the book by Dr. George W. Knepper. Pictures of Ohio's first and second statehouses are on page 16. (Submitted on April 19, 2006.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,688 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.