Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre

 
 
The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, February 13, 2010
1. The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre Marker
Inscription. Built in 1937 by Gen. Louis Verdier Clark from a design by architect William T. Warren as a community playhouse for cultural activities. It was recognized as one of the best of its kind in the nation. Mrs. Vassar Allen - first president, Bernard Szold - first director, Hill Ferguson and John Henley were founders.
In 1955, the building was donated by Gen. Clark's family to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and became known as the Clark Memorial Theatre. Professor James Hatcher created the Town and Gown company of performers, many of whom went on to Broadway and Hollywood. The Alabama School of Fine Arts, Birmingham Children's Theatre and Summerfest started here. After Mr. Hatcher's death, the theatre's future became uncertain and the building closed in 1999.
In February of 2000, former T&G actress and philanthropist Virginia Samford Donovan donated the funds to the Metropolitan Arts Council to purchase the building. Arts patrons Garland Cook Smith, Betty Thurman McMahon, Charles D. McCrary, James H. Miller, III and Council director Cathy Rye Gilmore led the campaign to renovate the property. The restored theatre re-opened May 12, 2002 as the Virginia Samford Theatre.
Donated by Garland and Lathrop Smith in memory of Josephine Harris Wasson.
 
Erected 2004 by Birmingham-Jefferson
The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, February 13, 2010
2. The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre Marker
Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 30.198′ N, 86° 47.211′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of 26th Street South and Hatcher Place on 26th Street South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1116 26th Street South, Birmingham AL 35205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jordan Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Donnelly House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Coe House (approx. 0.4 miles away); A.B. Loveman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Redmont Park Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Vincentís Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); Independent Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Five Points South (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Also see . . .  Virginia Samford Theatre Website. (Submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyArts, Letters, MusicEntertainmentNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,591 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement