Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Vincentís Hospital

Birminghamís Oldest Hospital

 
 
St. Vincentís Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, February 13, 2010
1. St. Vincentís Hospital Marker
Inscription. Named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Daughters of Charity in France in 1633, the hospital opened December 20, 1898 in the temporarily rented Henry F. DeBardelaben mansion at 206 15th Street South. Father Patrick A. OíReilly founded the hospital together with Sisters Antonia, Benedicta, Patricia and Placida. Filling Birminghamís desperate need for a hospital, the magnificent original building was dedicated on this site on November 29, 1900 at a cost of $223,000. The Stateís first School of Nursing was founded here by Sister Chrysostom Moynahan, Alabamaís first Registered Nurse. The current facility was dedicated May 25, 1974. On December 5, 1997 the Womenís and Childrenís Center and Bruno Conference Center were added.
 
Erected 1999 by Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society / St. Vincentís Hospital.
 
Location. 33° 30.572′ N, 86° 47.314′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Vincents Drive and University Blvd South, in the median on St. Vincents Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.B. Loveman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Coe House
St. Vincentís Hospital & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, February 13, 2010
2. St. Vincentís Hospital & Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Jordan Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donnelly House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the First Alabama - Auburn Football Game (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Independent Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Five Points South (approx. ĺ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Also see . . .  Early Days Photo of St. Vincent's Hospital from Dystopos' photostream. (Submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Science & Medicine
 
St. Vincentís Hospital image. Click for full size.
circa 1930
3. St. Vincentís Hospital
This hospital, rated as one of the finest in the South, was erected in 1900 by the Sisters of Charity, of the Order of St. Vincent de Paul. It was named for St. Vincent de Paul, who founded this order in Paris, France, in 1625.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,537 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   3. submitted on October 6, 2013. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement