Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
22-28 Queen Street
—circa 1803 —
William Johnson, Sr., originally from New York, was a blacksmith and planter revered at his death as a patriot having served in the Continental Congress. His son, Johnson, Jr., born in Charleston and educated at Princeton, was, at his death, an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. Johnson's Row, as originally constructed, had a door and two windows at ground level. Queen Street, formerly named Dock Street, was a slum before rehabilitation in the 1940s.
Erected 1997 by Preservation Society of Charleston.
Location. 32° 46.704′ N, 79° 55.734′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Queen Street 0.1 miles east of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Footlight Players Workshop (a few steps from this marker); Huguenot Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Pinckney (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward Rutledge Calhoun (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Philip's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Douxsaint House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel William Rhett (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 726 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.