Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church
Organized in 1813 with 13 members, this branch of Stateburg's High Hills of Santee Baptist Church (founded before 1772) became an independent congregation on September 24, 1820. It became known as Sumterville Baptist Church, and among early ministers who preached there were Dr. John Roberts and Dr. Richard Furman, noted pastor, patriot, and educator.
By 1820 this congregation had built Sumter's first church. Subsequent buildings date from 1854, 1902 (now Brown Chapel), and 1973. Named First Baptist in 1901, the church has been active in Southern Baptist associations and conventions, as well as in missions. It has sponsored four churches and ordained a number of ministers.
Erected 1983 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-21.)
Location. 33° 55.219′ N, 80° 20.366′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on East Liberty Street (U.S. 76) near North Havins Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Anne Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clara Louise Kellogg Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter World War II Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumterville Academy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 709 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.