Wallingford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Hon. Abraham Doolittle
Hon. Abraham Doolittle
Died Aug. 11, 1690 Ae. 70.
Widow, Abigail Moss died Nov. 5, 1710 Ae. 69. First wife Joane Alling is buried in New Haven.
Abraham was at Boston 1640, at New Haven 1642, at Wallingford 1669. Was one of four trustees in management of the plantation until after the incorporation of Wallingford in 1670. One of the committee to found the first church in this town. Marshall of New Haven Colony 1662 until union with Connecticut. Deputy to General Court from New Haven and from Wallingford repeatedly. Town Treasurer 1671. Townsman 1674 and other years. Sergeant of first train band 1673. Member of Vigilance Committee 1675. Dwelling fortified in King Philip's War.
This stone erected in A.D. 1918
Original stone inscribed A.D. 70, 1690
Location. 41° 27.334′ N, 72° 49.325′ W. Marker is in Wallingford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Center Street (Connecticut Route 150) and South Colony Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lyman Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Wallingford World War I Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford Korean War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founders of Wallingford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford World War II Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wallingford (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Wallace (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallingford.
More about this marker. Center Street Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 1, 1997.
Also see . . . Sargeant Abraham Doolittle on Family Origins. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,357 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.