Barnwell in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bethlehem Baptist Church
This church, officially organized in 1868, had its origins in the antebellum Barnwell Baptist Church, which was located on this site until about 1854, when it built a new church on another lot. At that time several free blacks and slaves who were members of Barnwell Baptist Church asked to use the old 1829 sanctuary for worship and meetings. The congregation agreed, and the group met here informally until 1868.
In 1868 seven black members of Barnwell Baptist Church asked the congregation for letters of dismissal, which were granted so that they could formally organize Bethlehem Baptist Church. The old Barnwell Baptist Church sanctuary served Bethlehem Baptist Church until it was demolished in 1898. Some material was salvaged to build the present sanctuary, which was renovated in 1981.
Erected 1999 by Barnwell Co. Museum and Historical Board. (Marker Number 6-10.)
Location. 33° 14.763′ N, 81° 21.918′ W. Marker is in Barnwell, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Wall Street near Gilmore Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 177 Wall Street, Barnwell SC 29812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. To the Veterans of All The Wars (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); To Honor the Memory of those Soldiers (about 800 feet away); Barnwell Baptist Church Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Barnwell County Revolutionary War Monument (about 800 feet away); Calhoun Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barnwell County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon Blatt, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edgar A. Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barnwell.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.