South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jewish Cemetery Site
Hebrew Society purchased larger tract of land 1883: bodies from original cemetery reinterred at new site 1884: later named Rose Hill cemetery. Many society members were part of migration starting in 1820s of German-speaking Jews seeking civil liberties. During twentieth century Jewish population in area was second or third largest in state.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Michiana Jewish Historical Society. (Marker Number 71.2002.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 41.046′ N, 86° 14.666′ W. Marker is in South Bend, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Marker is on North Niles Avenue 0.1 miles north of Cedar Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. On the Grounds of Madison Center/ Providence House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 575 N. Niles Ave, South Bend IN 46617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Pierre Freischutz Navarre Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); On This Site South Bend Was Founded (approx. half a mile away); Lincoln & Dixie Highways (approx. 0.6 miles away); Howard Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Joseph County Civil War Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Window To Our Past (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Rose (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bend.
Also see . . . IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB) provides annotations for the text of this marker on their website. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Additional keywords. Jewish
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2007, by Rosanne Kroen of South Bend, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2007, by Rosanne Kroen of South Bend, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.