Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix

 
 
First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 13, 2010
1. First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker
Inscription. The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop.

Since their beginning in 1912 with nine members, the Latter-day Saints in Phoenix had met in four different locations — the Knights of Pythias Hall at 23 East Washington Street, a laundry at 534 West Washington Street, an old Spanish-style building at 121 South First Avenue, and a room over a bicycle shop at 237 North Fifth Street. They purchased this area on the eastern edge of Phoenix's original city plat and built their first chapel 1918-1919.

The handsome meetinghouse — designed by Pop and Burton, Architects, of Salt Lake City — was an early example of the influence Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture had in the Southwest. The Latter-day Saints worshipped here for nearly thirty years. Phoenix used it as a community center, and weekly businessmen's luncheons and youth dances were held in the building.

By 1923, a thriving congregation (ward) of 730 made it necessary to expand the building; after further expansion in 1926, the meetinghouse filled this plaza area. Other wards were organized and more chapels were built, but the Phoenix First Ward continued to meet here
First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 13, 2010
2. First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker
until 1948, when a new meetinghouse at Eighteenth and Brill was completed. The building on this site was sold to another church and eventually demolished in 1969.

Bishop J. Robert Price, 1918-1926 Bishop George F. Price, 1926-1928 Bishop John H Udall, 1928-1938 Bishop Arch B. Campbell, 1938-1950
 
Erected 1981 by Sons of Utah Pioneers, Salt River Chapter and Historic Arts and Sites Committee of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 33° 27.003′ N, 112° 3.931′ W. Marker is in Phoenix, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker can be reached from North 6th Street near East Monroe Street. Touch for map. Marker is on east wall of the Lath House located in Heritage and Science Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 North 6th Street, Phoenix AZ 85004, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Edouard Gerard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Mary's Basilica (approx.
Lath House in Heritage Square image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 13, 2010
3. Lath House in Heritage Square
mile away); Hotel San Carlos (approx. half a mile away); Maricopa County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Orpheum Theatre (approx. 0.7 miles away); J. W. Walker/Central Arizona Light & Power Building (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phoenix.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Places
 
Image of the Building Desplayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kerchner, February 13, 2010
4. Image of the Building Desplayed on Marker
Images Desplayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, February 13, 2010
5. Images Desplayed on Marker
From left to right:
Bishop J. Robert Price, 1918-1926, Bishop George F. Price, 1926-1928, Bishop John H. Udall, 1928-1928 and Bishop Arch B. Campbell, 1938-1950
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,236 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   4, 5. submitted on February 18, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement