Near Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mount Zion Cemetery
The oldest documented burial in this graveyard, which was originally known as the Jennings Family Cemetery, is that of Mary Ann Jennings (1835-1856). Other early burials include those of John and Sally Jennings, members of their family, and neighbors.
The Jennings Family Cemetery became known as Mount Zion Cemetery when the Mount Zion Cumberland Presbyterian Church was built about one-half mile south of this site in the 1890s. The land on which the cemetery is situated remained in the Jennings family until 1944.
Among the more than five hundred grave markers here are tombstones of veterans of the Civil War and the Spanish American War. A cemetery association incorporated in 1972 cares for the historic graveyard.
Erected 1989 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9735.)
Location. 30° 43.653′ N, 98° 6.737′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mount Blanc School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Early Oatmeal School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Oatmeal Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bertram (approx. 3.3 miles away); Bertram School (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Village of South Gabriel (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Bryson Place (approx. 4.8 miles away); Airy Mount Barn (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bertram.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 939 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 17, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.