Merrillville in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Henry D. Palmer, M.D. (1809-1877) located at this site in 1836. First physician in Lake County, he was also counselor to the pioneers for 40 years and member of the underground railroad aiding escaped slaves.
Erected 1949 by Woman's Auxillary, Lake County Medical Society. (Marker Number 45.1949.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 29.106′ N, 87° 22.371′ W. Marker is in Merrillville, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is on 73rd Place, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is about 250 feet SE of the intersection of Taney Place and West 73rd Avenue, across 73rd Place from the Weslyan Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2985 W. 73rd Place, Merrillville IN 46410, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 1.4 miles away); W.W.II Triangle Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Old Lake County Courthouse, 1878 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 5.6 miles St. John Township School District #2 (approx. 6 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" (approx. 7.1 miles away); Froebel School (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.