Near Plantersville in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prince Frederick's Chapel
The first church on this site, known as Prince Frederick's Chapel, Pee Dee, was built in 1848 on a site donated by the Rev. Hugh Fraser in 1834. Most of its parishioners were rice planters along the Pee Dee River. These ruins are of the second church here, approved by a committee of R.F.W. Allston, Davison McDowell and Francis Weston and begun in 1859 but interrupted by the Civil War.
This Gothic Revival church designed by Louis J. Barbot was completed in 1876 with a gift of $1700 by John Earle Allston. With the decline of rice planting the church gradually fell into disrepair and was eventually deemed unsafe. It was demolished in 1966, leaving only the front wall and tower. The ruins were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2001 by the Georgetown Committee of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina. (Marker Number 22-52.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 33° 30.351′ N, 79° 10.832′ W. Marker is near Plantersville, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Plantersville Touch for map. Marker is 4 miles east of US 701. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chicora Wood (approx. 0.8 miles away); All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw (approx. 3.6 miles away); Joseph & Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 3.9 miles away); Joseph Alston (approx. 4.9 miles away); Brookgreen Plantation (approx. 5 miles away); Washington Allston (approx. 5 miles away); Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 5 miles away); Washington’s Visit (approx. 5 miles away).
1. National Register of Historic Places:
Prince Frederick's Chapel Ruins (added 1974 - Site - #74001858) •
Also known as Prince Frederick's Chapel •
Historic Significance:Event,Architecture/Engineering •
Area of Significance: Architecture, Religion •
Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1875-1899 •
Owner: Private •
Historic Function: Religion •
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure •
Current Function: Vacant/Not In Use •
— Submitted January 13, 2011.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,544 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 5. submitted on April 17, 2010, by Karen Tindal Main of Georgetown, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on April 5, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.