Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Orphan Brigade
The “Orphan Brigade,” “orphaned” because the secession movement had failed in Kentucky, leaving them with no “home state” in the Confederacy, was then assigned to Jackson’s division, Wheeler’s cavalry corps [CS] and ordered to Griffin for the purpose of being mounted, partly on horses surrendered by Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, USA, to Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., CSA, at Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon) on July 31,1864.
In its new role as “mounted infantry,” the Orphans served in Wheeler’s corps all through the last winter of the Confederacy, actively opposing Gen.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 14.777′ N, 84° 15.227′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is at the intersection of Memorial Drive (U.S. 19) and South 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Memorial Drive. The marker is located between Memorial Park and the Stonewall Confederate Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Militia at Griffin (here, next to this marker); Confederate Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); To the Women of Griffin and Spalding County (within shouting distance of this marker); Spalding County (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); The City of Griffin (approx. half a mile away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Spalding County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Orphan Brigade.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.