Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Troop Encampment Site
Erected 2008 by 100 Black Men of Valdosta.
Location. 30° 49.817′ N, 83° 16.733′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on West Hill Street (U.S. 84) 0 miles west of North Patterson Street (U.S. 41), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nationsbank (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Cotton Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lowndes County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christian Science Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Valdosta Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdosta.
Regarding Troop Encampment Site. The 103rd U.S. Colored Infantry was organized at Hilton Head, S. C., March 10, 1865,. served in garrison and guard duty in Savannah, Valdosta, and other
Additional keywords. Reconstruction
Categories. • African Americans • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.