Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dismounted Texas Cavalry
Yet footsoldiers were needed, too. The state set up camps of instruction, to teach Texans to walk and fight. By mid-1862 the need for infantry was so great that the following units were unhorsed under strong protest: 6th Texas Cavalry Battalion, 13th, 16th, 18th, 22nd, 24th, 25th and 28th Texas Cavalry regiments.
On Aug. 15, 1863, a part of A. W. Terrell's Cavalry regiment at Richmond was ordered to dismount and march to the defense of Galveston. On Sept. 11, an order to dismount still more men caused mutiny, and 91 rode their prized horses north to homes on the Indian frontier or to join other cavalry units. When 25 were tried later, only the officers were punished. Enlisted men returned to the regiment, and fought in such actions as the 1864 Red River campaign to prevent a Federal invasion of Texas.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8989.)
Location. 29° Touch for map. Located in park on NW corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond TX 77406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Home of Randal Jones (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Mirabeau B. Lamar (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Fort Bend (approx. 1.3 miles away); Morton Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Constantine W. Buckley (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Bend County Courthouse (approx. 1.4 miles away); The McFarlane House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,589 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.