Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berkey in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Old Territorial Road

Ohio Historical Marker

 
 
The Old Territorial Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
1. The Old Territorial Road Marker
Inscription. The earliest improved public road west from Lake Erie to the Indiana border, the Territorial-Indiana Road was built by the U.S. Government in 1834-1835 through the Cottonwood Swamp, then a major obstacle to travel. It ran parallel to the Harris Line, the northern boundary of a narrow strip of land contested by Ohio and Michigan from 1803 until 1836, when Ohio annexed it following the "Toledo War." Completion of the 110-mile road gave farmers and settlers much improved access to markets and new western lands. It became the Indiana Plank Road in 1848 and later Sylvania-Metamora Road. The Toledo and Western Electric Railway's parallel right-of-way was completed in 1902.
 
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Village of Berkey , and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 33-48.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 42.919′ N, 83° 50.394′ W. Marker is in Berkey, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of Sylvania-Metamora Road and North Berkey Southern Road (Ohio Route 295), on the left when traveling west on Sylvania-Metamora Road. Touch for map
The Old Territorial Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
2. The Old Territorial Road Marker
Close-up view of the photograph displayed on the historical marker.
. This historical marker is located on the southwest corner of Sylvania-Metamora Rd & SR 295, in Berkey, Ohio. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12353 Sylvania-Metamora Road, Berkey OH 43504, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roger T. Durbin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Centennial Terrace and Quarry / Fossil Park (approx. 4.9 miles away); Birthplace of Alexander Drabik (approx. 5.4 miles away); Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 5.8 miles away in Michigan); Hindu Temple and Heritage Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad (approx. 7 miles away); 1858 Railroad Depot (approx. 7 miles away); Railroad Car Barn (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
The Old Territorial Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
3. The Old Territorial Road Marker
View looking east of the village of Berkey and what was originally the Old Territorial Road, with the historical marker in the left foreground of the picture.
The Old Territorial Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
4. The Old Territorial Road Marker
View looking west of what was originally the Old Territorial Road, with the historical marker in the right foreground of the picture.
The Old Territorial Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
5. The Old Territorial Road Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,286 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement