Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Gen. Jos. Wheeler
Erected 1950 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 37.021′ N, 86° 58.149′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Bee Line Hwy (U.S. 31), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to the Decatur Marina on the left after crossing the Keller Memorial Bridge over the Tennessee River. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Benson Field (approx. 0.6 miles away); “Captain, We’ve Got It At Last” - The Charge of the 14th U.S. Colored Infantry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Leadership at Decatur - McCartney Hotel Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hood’s Middle Tennessee Campaign and The Battle for Decatur (approx. 0.8 miles away); Decatur and The Civil War in North Alabama Two Bridges Across The Tennessee River (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Decatur (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . . The Joseph Wheeler Plantation's Website. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.