Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Calhoun House

 
 
Calhoun House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, May 24, 2008
1. Calhoun House Marker
Inscription. On this site stood the Calhoun House, used as a Federal Courthouse, where desperado Frank James was tried and found not guilty, by jury trial, on April 25, 1884, for robbery of a government payroll near Muscle Shoals, Alabama, March 11, 1881. One of his defense attorneys was Huntsville’s LeRoy Pope Walker, first secretary of war of the Confederate States of America.
 
Erected 1979 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 43.847′ N, 86° 34.995′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Greene Street Southeast and Eustis Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling south on Greene Street Southeast. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph Street Church Of Christ (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodism brought into area 1807 First United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Site The Huntsville Inn (about 400 feet away); Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Howard Weeden Home (about 500 feet away); Central Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,290 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement