Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
One of the state’s oldest Presbyterian churches.
This site was selected for the first church building, dedicated on Oct. 13, 1822. The second and present, sanctuary was dedicated on May 18, 1860.
Names of all ministers who have served this church are recorded on plaques in the sanctuary.
This marker erected on 150th anniversary of organization.
Erected 1968 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 43.825′ N, 86° 34.91′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Street Southeast and Gates Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling north on Lincoln Street Southeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Gates Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Howard Weeden Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Leroy Pope Mansion 1814 (about 400 feet away); Calhoun House (about 400 feet away); Helion Lodge No. 1 (about 500 feet away); The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal Central Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); The Public Inn (about 700 feet away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 922 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.