Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jonah in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Community of Jonah

 
 
Community of Jonah Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 5, 2007
1. Community of Jonah Marker
Inscription. On 1820s land grant to Nashville colony. Settled 1851 by wagon train from Arkansas, and called Water Valley. In 1884, repeated ill-luck in selecting an acceptable name for Post Office led to renaming the town Jonah. This was site of famed Grist Mill, 1865–1912.
 
Erected 1970 by the Texas State Historical Suvery Committee.
 
Location. 30° 38.351′ N, 97° 32.451′ W. Marker is in Jonah, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on State Highway 29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weir TX 78674, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jonah Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Mankins Crossing (approx. 2.5 miles away); Weir Community Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); The Double File Trail (Georgetown) (approx. 3.1 miles away); Texan Santa Fe Expedition (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Neusser (Naizerville) (approx. 3.2 miles away); Monodale Community (approx. 3.5 miles away); City of Weir (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas Online: Jonah, TX. (Submitted on October 1, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Community of Jonah Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, June 29, 2014
2. Community of Jonah Marker vicinity
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 1, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.   2. submitted on January 15, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement