West Haven in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
West Haven and North Milford joined in 1822 to for the Town of Orange. The rural and residential sections of Orange separated in 1921 when the residential part, West Haven became Connecticut's youngest town.
In 1961 West Haven was incorporated as a city and adopted a mayor – council form of government. By this action, one of the oldest settlements became the newest municipality in Connecticut.
Erected by the City of West Haven
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1971 by City of West Haven, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 16.345′ N, 72° 57.001′ W. Marker is in West Haven, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Campbell Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of West Haven City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 355 Main Street, West Haven CT 06516, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers SSg Thomas E. Vitagliano (within shouting distance of this marker); West Haven World War I Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); West Haven Revolutionary War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); West Haven Twilight League 1933 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Painter Park World War II Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); VFW Post 1684 Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Lone Sailor (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Haven.
Also see . . .
1. West Haven, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. City of West Haven. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 725 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.