Crown Point in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Lake County Courthouse, 1878
The Old Courthouse has been, since its erection in 1878, a landmark in Lake County, Indiana. Construction of the central portion, including the clock tower, began with 500,000 hand-kilned bricks from the Henry Wise Brickyard in Crown Point, combining several aspects of Romanesque and Georgian styles of architecture. North and south wings were added to the original structure in 1907 and 1928.
The Old Lake County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Location. 41° 25.045′ N, 87° 21.873′ W. Marker is in Crown Point, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 231), on the left. Touch for map. Marker is on the east grounds of the former county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Crown Point IN 46307, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W.W.II Triangle Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Physician (approx. 4.7 miles away); Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 4.8 miles away); St. John Township School District #2 (approx. 8.2 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" Site of Huakiki (approx. 9.2 miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 9.6 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 9.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Grand Old Lady - The Lake County Courthouse. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.