Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Court House Well

 
 
The Court House Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 2011
1. The Court House Well Marker
Inscription.
Under This Tablet Is
The Court House Well
Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth
For generations it was a main
source of domestic water
for the community.

“Gone is the ancient equipment
but still the living water flows.”

Tablet dedicated June 29, 1940 by
Ursula Parlor No. 1
Native Daughters of the Golden West
and
The Board of Supervisors of
Amador County

 
Erected 1940 by Native Daughters of the Golden West and Amador County Board of Supervisors.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 20.96′ N, 120° 46.4′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Summit Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Old County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Court Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Constitution Saloon (here, next to this marker); Sesquicentennial Court House Site (here, next to this marker); In Memoriam: The '49ers
The Court House Well Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
2. The Court House Well Marker
(here, next to this marker); Excelsior Parlor 31 (within shouting distance of this marker); Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Harris Clothing Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Steckler's Building (within shouting distance of this marker); M Harris Clothing Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
More about this marker. Marker is embedded in the roadway, near the sidewalk, of Summit Street at the front of the Handicap Parking Space. If a vehicle is parked in the space it may be difficult to view marker.
 
Categories. Natural ResourcesNotable Places
 
The Old Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
3. The Old Courthouse
The marker is located on the street level next to the white pick-up truck.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 893 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 14, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement