Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sesquicentennial Court House Site

 
 
Sesquicentennial Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
1. Sesquicentennial Court House Site Marker
Inscription. Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first court house at this site. By year’s end, a 2-story wooden court house stood here. You see its sketch nearby.

In the “great fire” of August, 1862, the first court house and much of Jackson were destroyed. County Judge Marion Gordon urged supervisors to rebuild. By January, 1864, the county had a new, 2-story brick court house standing here.

In 1893 the county out-grew the court house, and erected a matching, 2-story brick hall of records next to it. A catwalk connected the two. Jail prisoners exercised in intervening ground. When more room was needed, the county filled in the space between the two buildings.

By the 1930s, the two buildings had become one. But supervisors decided the 19th century style needed modernizing. By 1940 the art deco façade you see was the result. Thus, a 1940 skin covers a 1864 court house, 1893 hall of records, and 20th century fill-in. No more unique court house exists.

Since the beginning of the county in 1854 its citizens have sought justice and upheld law in its court houses here. We, therefore, in Amador County’s Sesquicentennial
Sesquicentennial Court House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
2. Sesquicentennial Court House Site Marker
year, rededicate this site and pray this historic court house be preserved and be used by its people.

Dedicated in Amador County’s Sesquicentennial Year on June 5, 2004
Barney Noël, Grand President
Native Sons of the Golden West
Amador Parlor #17
Excelsior Parlor #31
Ione Parlor #33
In cooperation with the
Amador County Sesquicentennial Committee

 
Erected 2004 by Native Sons of the Golden West and Amador County Sesquicentennial Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 20.962′ N, 120° 46.395′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker can be reached from Summit Street near Court Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is mounted in the grass in front of the Old County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Court Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memoriam: The '49ers (here, next to this marker); The Court House Well (here, next to this marker); Constitution Saloon (a few steps from this marker); Law Office
Sketches Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Sketches Displayed on Marker
Center sketch is Amador's First Court House 1854-1862 as mentioned in marker text.
Sketch on the left is the 1864 Court House.
Sketch on the right is the 1893 Hall of Records.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Excelsior Parlor 31 (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Harris Clothing Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steckler's Building (about 300 feet away); M Harris Clothing Store (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
More about this marker. The court house building is located at the intersection of Court and Summit Streets.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
The Court House Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
4. The Court House Building
View of building from across Summit Street. Note the art-deco facade designed by Architect George Sellon. The modernization of the building was dedicated on June 29, 1940.
The Court House Building image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
5. The Court House Building
As viewed from across Court Street. Marker is located behind the white pick-up truck.
Rear Windows of Court House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 21, 2010
6. Rear Windows of Court House
The bars of the old jail can be seen in the windows.
NSGW 1940 Building Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 5, 2016
7. NSGW 1940 Building Dedication Marker
NSGW Building Dedication image. Click for full size.
By James King, May 5, 2016
8. NSGW Building Dedication
Dedication Marker is visible as a dark rectangle directly in front of the main door to the courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 24, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7, 8. submitted on May 6, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.
Paid Advertisement