Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Entrance to Cemetery of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society
The society has been in continuous existence since its organization in 1822. It was chartered 1834. Its charities are administered to the needs of the community without regard to creed or race.
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-26.)
Location. 34° 0.294′ N, 81° 2.571′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Gadsden Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located between Blanding and Taylor Streets, sidewalk entrance to cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fleishman Family Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal Hill (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harriett Cornwell Tourist Home (about 800 feet away); Early Howard School Site (about 800 feet away); Richard Samuel Roberts House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Columbia (S.C.) Holocaust Memorial South Carolina State Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Tribute To All U.S. Military Personnel On This Day Of Infamy (approx. 0.2 miles away); China - Burma - India Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society. Official website of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society. (Submitted on August 24, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 768 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.