Piedmont in Calhoun County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad
In 1867 a contract was let to complete the road to Dalton, Georgia. Three corporations merged to form the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad, which reached Dalton in 1869.
On June 20, 1868, the first train arrived in Cross Plains from Jacksonville.
This marker is given in Memory of Mr. and Mrs. S. Herschel Harris by Kennedy Rue Harris.
Location. 33° 55.476′ N, 85° 36.672′ W. Marker is in Piedmont, Alabama, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of North Center Avenue and Front Street East on North Center Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Piedmont AL 36272, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cross Plains - Piedmont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Piedmont First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Spring Garden (approx. 4.7 miles Rock Run Furnace (approx. 9.8 miles away); "The Magnolias" (approx. 11.3 miles away); Thomas A. Walker (approx. 11.3 miles away); Jacksonville State University (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piedmont.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama entry on Alabama railroads. (Submitted on December 19, 2012, by Laura Hill of Auburn, Alabama.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,241 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.