Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1978 by The Historic Columbia Foundation. (Marker Number 40-69.)
Location. 34° 0.481′ N, 81° 1.621′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Hampton Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located between Barnwell and Henderson Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson Boyhood House (here, next to this marker); "Chesnut Cottage" (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Site of Columbia College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Bible College (about 500 feet away); Original Site of Winthrop College Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Bible College, 1937-1960 / Westervelt Home, 1930 - 1937 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hampton - Preston House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Wilson House. Built in 1872, in the then popular “Cottage Style” and bearing the theme of a modified Tuscan villa of unquestionable Andrew Jackson Downing inspiration, the Thomas Woodrow Wilson Boyhood Home is one of the best examples of Italianate “Cottage Architecture” in South Carolina. Remaining virtually as built, the home where Woodrow Wilson spent part of his boyhood today provides a glimpse into the world of the 1870s which influenced the boy who became the twenty-eighth President of the United States. The home was built by the Reverend Joseph Ruggles Wilson, professor at the Columbia Theological Seminary from 1870 to 1874, minister of the First Presbyterian Church from 1871 to 1873 and father of Thomas Woodrow Wilson. The family occupied the house until 1875 when the Wilsonís moved from South Carolina. Restored by Historic Columbia Foundation,
surrounded by a picket fence, contains tea olives, magnolias and dogwoods planted by the Wilsonís. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972. (South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 753 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 27, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.