Globe in Gila County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
City of Globe
Globe's colorful history began in the mid 1870's when silver was discovered. Rich mines gave birth to a booming community of 700 by 1880, prompting the appointment of Globe as county seat for the newly formed Gila County in 1881.
As silver ore played out, Globe turned to its abundant copper deposits. The Old Dominion Copper Mine was founded in 1881 spurring growth in both mining and the town. In 1898 the long-awaited railroad arrived stimulating further growth of Globe and the mines. The City of Globe was incorporated in 1907 and George W. P. Hunt became the first Mayor. He later went on to become Arizona's first Governor, serving 6 subsequent terms.
By 1910 Globe was a flourishing community with several copper mines and host of commercial buildings, churches, theaters and the now historic Gila County Courthouse. There was a continuous element of Old West excitement in Glove with fancy bordellos, “orderly” lynchings, and infamous saloons patronized
Location. 33° 23.777′ N, 110° 47.223′ W. Marker is in Globe, Arizona, in Gila County. Marker is on North Broad Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North Broad Street, Globe AZ 85501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cobre Valley Center for the Arts (here, next to this marker); In Honor of John W. Wentworth (a few steps from this marker); Hon. George W. P. Hunt (a few steps from this marker); St. John's Espiscopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Sheriff Thompson's Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); From Globe to Governor (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hanging Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); International House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Globe.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,033 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?