Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ebenezer Lutheran Church

 
 
Ebenezer Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Ebenezer Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription. First Lutheran congregation in Columbia. Church dedicated in this square in 1830 was burned by Union troops in 1865. It was rebuilt 1870, partly through aid of northern Lutherans, and used for Sunday School after present church was completed in 1931.
 
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-9.)
 
Location. 34° 0.686′ N, 81° 2.131′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Richland Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located between Marion Street and North Sumter Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mann-Simons Cottage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); DeBruhl-Marshall House (about 600 feet away); Richland Street (about 600 feet away); Ladson Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jefferson Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laurel Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Modjeska Simkins House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Regarding Ebenezer Lutheran Church. Located on
Ebenezer Lutheran Church Marker seen along Richland Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 21, 2010
2. Ebenezer Lutheran Church Marker seen along Richland Street
the site of the first Lutheran church in Columbia, Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel was constructed in 1870 and extensively renovated in 1900. It was designed by Columbia architect Gustav Theodore Berg and remodeled by the Columbia architectural firm of Wilson and Edwards. The church features a front façade in Flemish bond brick with glazed headers flanked by two square towers and finely detailed ca. 1900 art glass windows. Centered in the front façade is a large stained glass Palladian window. Brick pilasters with terra cotta capitals are featured on each corner of the front façade. The interior of the church is notable for its intricate pressed metal ceiling, its chancel area and organ platform which retains its turned balustrade. Alterations to the chapel have consisted of the removal of the pews and pulpit, and the removal of the balustrade and cupola which originally crowned each of the two towers. Located directly adjacent to the churchyard is a Lutheran cemetery which dates from the early 1800s. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Ebenezer Lutheran Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 21, 2010
3. Ebenezer Lutheran Church and Marker
Ebenezer Lutheran Church Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 21, 2010
4. Ebenezer Lutheran Church Chapel
National Register of Historic Places: Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel ** (added 1979 - Building - #79003365) Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering • Architect, builder, or engineer: Wilson & Edwards, Berg,Gustav Theodore • Architectural Style: No Style Listed • Area of Significance: Religion, Architecture • Period of Significance: 1800-1824, 1850-1874, 1900-1924 • Owner: Private • Historic Function: Religion • Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Cemetery, Religious Structure • Current Function: Funerary, Social • Current Sub-function: Cemetery, Civic •
Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel image. Click for full size.
S.C. Dept. of Archives and History, circa September 21, 2006
5. Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement