Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bethel A.M.E. Church
This church, founded in 1866, was one of the first separate African-American congregations established in Columbia after the Civil War. It met in buildings on Wayne St., at Lincoln & Hampton Sts., and at Sumter & Hampton Sts. before acquiring this site. This sanctuary, a Romanesque Revival design, was built in 1921 and was designed by noted black architect John Anderson Lankford (1874-1946).
John Anderson Lankford, one of the first registered black architects in the U.S., was later supervising architect of the A.M.E. Church. Bethel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 1995 its congregation moved to the former Shandon Baptist Church on Woodrow St. In 2008 the Renaissance Foundation began restoring the historic church as a cultural arts center.
Erected 2008 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-150.)
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 0.413′ N, 81° 2.046′ W. Marker was in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker was at the intersection of Sumter Street and Taylor Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1528 Sumter Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Site of Gibbes House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Taylor Street (about 500 feet away); Ordinance of Secession (about 500 feet away); Blanding Street (about 700 feet away); Site of Blanding House (about 800 feet away); Ladson Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Street Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Bethel A.M.E. Church. Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church is significant as the work of John Anderson Lankford, one of the first registered African American architects in the United States, and official architect for the A.M.E. Church. Lankford received training in engineering, mechanics and construction arts at Lincoln Institute, and after graduation became part owner of a blacksmith shop. His work caught the attention of Booker T. Washington, who invited him to Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. Following a distinguished academic career, Lankford taught for a time at Tuskegee. Lankford went on to teach at other technical institutes
(Historic Resources of Columbia)
National Register of Historic Places:
Bethel A.M.E. Church (added 1982 - - #82003899)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Lankford,John Anderson
♦ Architectural Style: Romanesque
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1900-1924
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
1. Marker stolen & returned!
Police reported that, on Wednesday April 12, 2017, that this marker has been stolen. ABC Network story about theft
On April 29th the marker was returned to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, after two men said they found it outside of the church. It now awaits funds to repair and reinstall.
— Submitted April 20, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.