Tekamah in Burt County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historical Facts of Burt County
Old block house was built by U.S. War Department on this site in 1855 to protect white colony from Indians.
Crowning achievment of the pioneers was a gold medal award for best agricultural display at World's Fair 1893 in Chicago.
Tekamah founded Oct. 7, 1854. First church organized 1856. First school held in 1857.
Burt County. First settlement in county in Folsom Park at Tekamah in 1854. First church at Decatur 1856. First school at Silvercreek 1856 on section 36.
Decatur. Indian trading post 1854. Incorporated 1856. First church organized 1856. First school 1861.
Burt County Pioneer and Old Settler's Association founded Aug. 6, 1903.
Craig. Founded 1867. First church organized 1876. First school 1870.
Oakland. Founded 1863. First church organized 1869. First school 1867.
Lyons. Founded 1866. First church organized 1868. First school 1868.
Erected 1931 by Burt County, Historical Society
Location. 41° 46.733′ N, 96° 13.25′ W. Marker is in Tekamah, Nebraska, in Burt County. Marker is on U.S. 75 0 miles north of O Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker located in front of the Burt County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tekamah NE 68061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cuming City Cemetery and Nature Preserve (approx. 13.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Burt County, Nebraska History and Geneaology. (Submitted on March 1, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Historical Facts of Burt County.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,492 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 1, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.