Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakeland in Lanier County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Union Baptist Church

←1/2 mi.—

 
 
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 10, 2005
1. Union Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Union Baptist Church, on the Alapaha River one-half mile West on this road, was constituted October 21, 1825, the first church in the old area of Irwin County.

The original members were: William A. Knight, his wife, Sarah; Jonathan Knight, his wife, Elizabeth; Joshua Lee, his wife, Martha; James Patten, his wife, Elizabeth; Mary Knight; Josiah Sirmans, deacon.

The Rev. Matthew Albritton served the church as its first minister.
 
Erected 2000 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 086-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 1.589′ N, 83° 3.963′ W. Marker is in Lakeland, Georgia, in Lanier County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and Burnt Church Road (Route 135), on the left when traveling south on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeland GA 31635, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Church Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Burnt Church (approx. one mile away); Lanier County (approx. 1.1 miles
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
2. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking north to Lakeland on Georgia Highway 135
away); Home of Governor E. D. Rivers (approx. 1.7 miles away); Joshua Lee (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fender Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); First Court in Clinch County (approx. 11.4 miles away); Bethany Baptist Church (approx. 12.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeland.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
3. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking north to Lakeland on Georgia Highway 135
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
4. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking east on Burnt Church Road toward the site of Union Baptist Church (later the Burnt Church) and the Union Church Cemetery
Union Baptist Church -- the "Burnt Church" image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
5. Union Baptist Church -- the "Burnt Church"
Union Baptist Church, first known as Carter's Meeting House, burned in 1854. It was immediately rebuilt and known thereafter as the Burnt Church. It was restored in April 1998.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,414 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on February 12, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement