Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Durham Road Toll House
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 19
The Newtown and Wrightstown Turnpike (Durham) Toll House was in operation from approximately 1870 to 1920, when it was originally located at this site at the intersection of Sycamore Street (532) and Durham Road (413). The toll house served as the headquarters of the Wrightstown and Newtown Turnpike Company. The section of the turnpike that this gatekeeper controlled was from the intersection of the routes now known as 532 and 413 to Wrightstown-Taylorsville Road and 413. The turnpike ceased to function in 1920 and the house became a private dwelling.
Toll Houses were constructed for the purpose of collecting money for road maintenance and salary for toll keepers. The Toll House provided modest living quarters for the toll keeper (and family) on this part of the Durham Road turnpike, and it had a toll gate that could be raised and lowered as the tolls were paid. Upon payment of one cent, the gate was lifted and a pedestrian was allowed to pass through. Two cents opened the gate to a horse or ox. When automobiles came into use, the charge for a car and driver was five cents. The Toll House was twice saved from demolition. First, in 1955 by the Goodnoe family, when it was moved to its present location on Durham Road at Eagle Road to make way for the Goodnoe Dairy Bar. Second, in 1989 when the developer of the Village at Newtown
Erected 2007 by Newtown Historical Association and the J. W. McGrath Organization.
Location. 40° 14.153′ N, 74° 56.259′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of Sycamore Street and Durham Road (Pennsylvania Route 532), on the left when traveling north on Sycamore Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 N Sycamore Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goodnoe Farm & Dairy Bar (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Boyd-Yardley House (about 600 feet away); Brooks House (about 800 feet away); Randall Double House (approx. ¼ mile away); William Penn's New Town (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Elinor Slack Campbell (approx. ¼ mile away); Newtown Common & Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Current photo of the toll house. • Can you help?