Near Ridge Spring in Saluda County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jones Cemetery / General James Jones
This is the family cemetery of Mathias Jones (1779-1829), planter, merchant, and state representative 1814-17. Jones moved from Virginia to Ridge Spring, in what was then Edgefield District, about 1800. He, his wife Clara Perry Jones (1786-1841), and 4 of their 12 children are buried here. The 1887 will of daughter Elizabeth Watson set up an endowment for perpetual maintenance.
Gen. James Jones (1805-1865), the son of Mathias & Clara Jones, is buried here. A partner in textile mills at Graniteville and Vaucluse, he was chairman of commissioners to build the State House 1855-61. Jones also served as adjutant & inspector general 1836-41, chairman of the board of visitors of the Citadel and the Arsenal Academy 1842-65, and state quartermaster general 1863-65.
Erected 2006 by Ridge Heritage Association. (Marker Number 41-11.)
Location. 33° 50.978′ N, 81° 40.674′ W. Marker is near Ridge Spring, South Carolina, in Saluda County. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 23) 0.1 miles west of Saluda Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Just west of the town limits. Marker is in this post office area: Ridge Spring SC 29129, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 Michael Watson (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ridge Spring (approx. one mile away); Ridge Hill School / Faith Cabin Library (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ridge Spring Cemetery / W.H. Scarborough (approx. 1.9 miles away); Alexander Hamilton Stevens (approx. 1.9 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 2.9 miles away); Jacob Odom House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lott's Tavern & Post Office (approx. 6.3 miles away); William Johnston (approx. 7.2 miles away); Johnston (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridge Spring.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.